"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Lola and Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Published: September 2011
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis: Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Review: This was just as good if not better than Anna!

Lola seems to live an almost perfect life with a rocker boyfriend and 2 dads that love her. Everything seems fine until her used to be neighbors move in after years of not seeing them. After the way they left Lola doesn't want anything to do with them and also doesn't want to know about them. Unfortunately for her, it seems kind of impossible since each day her feelings towards them change, especially for Cricket.

Lola is the person that I could never be and I loved that! She had her own personality and she really distinguished herself from the rest. She was trying to get over what had happened with her neighbors and when they suddenly appeared everything came back to her which made her not want to see them. Of course, the one person that she doesn't want to see is the person she sees.

And Cricket is awesome! According to Lola he dresses well and can also invent stuff. He doesn't have that big personality that everyone can see that Lola does but he stands out in his own way. He was going through his own things and trying to figure out his own problems that were tormenting him. He actually seemed like he could be the boy that lived next door.

I can't decide if I liked Anna more or not but I know for sure that they are both amazing. I enjoyed reading every single minute and I can't wait to read her next book. I feel like anything that Stephanie comes out with I will buy even if I don't know what it's about. =)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lola. I can't even describe how much I love this book. It's just filled with awesomeness. I'm with you on not being able to decide which is better, Anna or Lola. I don't think that question can ever be answered.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide how which one I loved more but I do know that Cricket is an awesome friend and the way he cares so much about Lola was just *siiiiigh*!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't read either one of these, so i'm not sure who i like better..yet!! hoping to read them soon!

    ReplyDelete