"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Season of Eden by Jennifer Laurens

Title: A Season of Eden
Author: Jennifer Laurens
Pages: 248
Published: October 2008
Rating: 4/5
Synopsis: He's my teacher. I shouldn't be alone with him. But I can't help that he's irresistible.

I let the door silently close at my back. He stared at me, and a taut quiet stretched between us. "I like hearing you play," I said, moving toward him. He turned, in sync with my slow approach. He looked up at me but didn't say anything. I rested my clammy hand on the cold, slick body of the baby grand. "May I?" The muscles in his throat shifted, then he swallowed. "Eden." My knees weakened, like a soft tickling kiss had just been blown against the backs of them. "Is it okay?" I asked. His gaze held mine like two hands joined. He understood what I was really asking. "Let me stay," I said. "Please." "You're going to get me in trouble," he said.

Review: Eden is a girl who can get everything that she wants and doesn't let things get in her way. When a new teacher arrives at the school, Eden makes it her mission to get him to notice her. They both know that this is something dangerous for them since the teacher-student thing exists between them.

Eden used to getting everything and when Mr. Christian arrives at her school she's determined to make him notice her. She doesn't stop to think about the consequences that this might have on both of them and goes on with her plan. I did see her change over the course of the book but it took me a while to understand why she did things but it's just the way she grew up.

Mr. Christian was the one who wanted to stay away from the trouble that Eden brought with her but of course he couldn't resist it. I loved that he could play the piano and had a love for classical music. I'm glad that he was able to take a hold of the things he wanted after a while and could decide and think things for what he wanted. I loved the relationship that he had with his mother and how much he cared for her.

It was a pretty short read that I enjoyed reading, especially since I had wanted to read it for so long. One thing I really enjoyed about it (and maybe why I wanted to read it) was that I hadn't read any book that had the student-teacher relationship like it was in A Season of Eden. It was definitely different than other forbidden romances and I liked that.

No comments:

Post a Comment