"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Title: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Pages: 256
Published: January 2012
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis: Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.

Review: I loved it. I had heard that it was a good book but I didn't think that I would like it as much as I did. It was hard for me to picture a book that only takes 24 hours and it actually good. Well, this book did it and in such a way that I completely fell in love with it.

Hadley has some problems from the beginning. She misses her plane by 4 minutes but those 4 minutes make a big impact on what is coming from her. Thanks to those 4 minutes she gets to meet Oliver, a British boy, who is going on the same plane as her. They take the trip across the Atlantic together and when they get at their destination there is still much more to come for them.

I felt that Hadley was really reacting to the situations that she was living through. She's forced to go to her father's wedding with a women that she doesn't even know while still trying to come to terms to what happened to her family. She goes through a journey to figure out things in her life. She's still mad at her father and doesn't quite know what to do about it. I loved seeing how she thought things through and by the end of the 24 hours her feelings and thought were much more settled.

And then there's Oliver. Since the first time that we meet him he's charming and for the most part of the book it's the same thing. We don't really get to know why he's going to London until they actually get there. When we get to find out it just adds to how deep the book actually is.

I knew I would enjoy it but I didn't think I would come to love it as much as I did. It's one of those that I expect to be short and with a simple romance and even though this one had the romance it also had much more than just that. This will definitely be in my top books of this year! =)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I'm so excited about this book! Your review totally got me excited - I love books that span over a short time period! :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete