"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Title: Rebel Angels
Author: Libba Bray
Published: 2003
Pages: 548
Rating: 5/5
Summary: Ah, Christmas! Gemma Doyle is looking forward to a holiday from Spence Academy‒spending time with her friends in the city, attending balls in fancy gowns with plunging necklines, and dallying with the handsome Simon Middleton. Yet amid these distractions, her visions intensify‒visions of three girls dressed in white, to whom something horrific has happened that only the realms can explain.

Review: I had read the first in the trilogy and decided to read the rest, and I'm glad that I did! This lived up to what I expected and went beyond.

After setting loose the magic, Gemma must find the Temple. For Christmas she goes to the home she doesn't even know. Kartik is there always telling her that she must find the Temple and bind the magic before anything happens. Along the way she meets new people that help her on her quest and that also mean harm to her. While visiting the realms, she sees the changes that have taken place since the last time that she was there. Finding the Temple proves to be harder than Gemma thought.

I felt that I got to know a bit more about Gemma and a few other characters. Every time Gemma had a doubt about someone, I felt it too. I was always wishing that Kartik would appear throughout the book. In the times that he did appear, I could see a bit more of what he was feeling. Ann and Felicity annoyed me at times because it seemed that they cared about going to the realms more than they cared for Gemma.

The writing was in a way that seemed to fit the story and the time that it takes place in, but not old enough that I couldn't read it the way I normally do. This gave me more of a feel for the story.

I really liked how the book continued the story from the first book and hope that the third one will be just as good as the first two or even better.

1 comment: