"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

Title: The Ruins of Gorlan
Author: John Flanagan
Published: 2004
Pages: 249
Rating:4/5
Summary: The Rangers, with their shadowy ways have always made him nervous. And now fifteen-year-old Will has been chosen as a Ranger's apprentice. But what he doesn't yet realize is that the Rangers are the protectors of the kingdom who will fight the battles before the battles reach the people. And there is a large battle brewing. The exiled Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, is gathering his forces for an attack on the kingdom. This time he will not be denied.

Review: I didn't think that I would like this book as much as I did but that's what I love about books.

The story starts off with Will getting ready for the Choosing Day. This day is important to him and his wardmates because it will determine what they will do and who they will become. From there the book goes to talk about the life that Will is living after the Choosing Day. Will learns what a Ranger does and who they really are. He also learns about the troubles that are yet to come.

The book changed perpectives between will and Horace, his wardmate. This helped me understand what Hoarace was going through and how it was different from what Will was going through. Even though it changes perspectives between both Will and Horace, the story focused on Will. We didn't see a lot of the other wards that grew up with Will but in the times that they did appear I liked what I saw of them.

The writing made it easy for me to read, which I really liked. I thought that this book was a good introduction for the series. There wasn't much that happened except for the end. It didn't throw too much information but enough for the reader to know what was going on. Overrall, I thought this book was really good!

1 comment: