"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Hex Hall
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Released: March 2010
Pages: 323
Rating: 5/5
Synopsis: Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Review: The story starts with Sophie in a high school dance that soon turns to be the event that really changes her life. Sophie ends up being sent to Hex Hall where other people of her kind are sent if they've dove something wrong. During her time there Sophie has a very horrid welcome by the teachers and her classmates. She soon learns that there are some weird things happening and also finds out some things that were secrets.
 
I loved Sophie!! She was hilarious and always said the funniest things! Her response to the things that others asked her always kept me entertained and never made the story get boring. She did some things that were really funny to read about and at the same time made you wish that she hadn't done it. One thing I really liked about her was her loyalty to Jenna, her friend. Despite having everything against Jenna, Sophie still believed in what she said.
 
I liked how the mystery kept the story going and how at the end I was kind of surprised. There were several things that were surprising to find out but I think it really made the story much more interesting. I loved how there were different types of paranormal creatures other than witches and that some where liked more than others and others were disliked by mostly everyone.
 
I have been wanting to read this book for a really long time and I can't believe I waited this long to finally read it! Once I started reading it I couldn't stop because I couldn't wait to know what happened next. Plus the funny parts made the pages fly by without me noticing it! This is one of those books that once you start reading, you won't stop! I can't wait to read Demonglass!

2 comments:

  1. I love this book! So glad you loved it too! Demonglass is even better, and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review; I love Sophie's character too! She's so sarcastic!! There's a giveaway of Born at Midnight over on my blog if you'd like to enter =]

    ReplyDelete