"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

Title: Someone Like You
Author: Sarah Dessen
Released: August 1998
Pages: 281
Rating: 3/5
Synopsis: Halley and Scarlett have been best friends ever since they met. Halley has always been the quiet one, Scarlett braver and more outgoing. Halley has always turned to Scarlett when things get rough, and Scarlett has always known just what to do. It's the perfect setup. But everything changes at the beginning of their junior year, Scarlett's boyfriend is killed in a motorcycle accident; then Scarlett finds out that she is carrying his baby. For the first time ever, Scarlett really needs Halley. Now Halley has to learn how to be strong for Scarlett. It won't be easy, but Halley knows that she can't let Scarlett down. Because a true friend is a promise you keep forever.

Review: Halley has always been the quiet one while Scarlett has always been the one to take action. After the death of Scarlett's boyfriend dies Halley knows that now it's her turn to help Scarlett get through this. Along the way Halley goes through a journey of her own that is like nothing she has done before.

I honestly didn't really like Halley I mean I did but her actions often frustrated me. I get that she would want to grow up and explore the world around her more but she should have done it in a different way. I also felt that she was trying to be someone who she wasn't just to stay with Macon. Going as far as almost doing something she wasn't ready for. I loved how despite everything they were going through she was trying to help Scarlett.

I think the reason that I didn't enjoy it as much was because Halley wasn't like I would want most girls to be. I always want to read about a female character who isn't afraid to be who she really is. I did love that at the end she recognized what she had been doing and tried to change her ways. Despite the story being told through Halley's perspective, I enjoyed reading the bits where Scarlett is. Even though she was going through a tough time she tried to be strong.

It had been a really long time that I had been wanting to read something by Sarah Dessen. I don't really read many contemporary novels, much less those that deal with these kind of issues but I'm glad I got the chance to read this one. I have a couple more of books so I'm excited to start reading more of her more recent books!

No comments:

Post a Comment