"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Title: The Great Gatsby
Author: F. Scott Fitsgerald
Published: 1924
Pages: 180
Rating: 3/5
Summary: The mysterious Jay Gatsby embodies the American notion that it is possible to redefine oneself and persuade the world to accept that definition. Gatsby's youthful neighbor, Nick Carraway, fascinated with the display of enormous wealth in which Gatsby revels, finds himself swept up in the lavish lifestyle of Long Island society during the Jazz Age. Considered Fitzgerald's best work, The Great Gatsby is a mystical, timeless story of integrity and cruelty, vision and despair.

Review: For me this was a weird book. That's all I can really say.

It just basically talks about how the people cheat on each other. Little by little you learn of the stories behind this. The narrator talks about his summer but I felt that he was telling the story of others.

I didn't like who the characters were. The one I only really did like was Nick. I thought he was honest and it's what I liked. All the other characters were people who appeared to be someone they weren't. The actions that they took really frustrated me.

The fact that Tom and Daisy left after what had happened really annoyed me. They were people who didn't want to clean up the mess that they had started and left that job to others. Towards the end of the book you realize that things weren't really going to change that much.

One thing that I did learn is that you need to know who your real friends are and who are the ones that just want something from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment