"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Zan-Gah: A Prehistoric Adventure by Allan Richard Shickman

Title: Zan-Gah: A Prehistoric Adventure
Author: Allan Richard Shickman
Published: July 2007
Pages: 148
Rating: 4/5
Summary: The hero, Zan-Gah seeks his lost twin in a savage prehistoric world, encountering suffering, captivity, conflict, love, and triumph. In three years, Zan-Gah passes from an uncertain boyhood to a tried and proven manhood and a position of leadership among his people. Themes: survival, cultures, gender roles, psychological trauma, nature's wonders and terrors.

Review: When they first offered me the opportunity to review this book,I had no idea what to expect. Thankfully it was a good book!
 
At the beginning of the book Zan lives the live that one would expect during these times. Zan is now old enough to help his elders to kill a lion. After this event, Zan is given the name of Zan-Gah and goes on a journey to find his twin brother who disappeared a few years back.
 
Zan was a different but interesting character to see the story from. He lives in a time where there is no technology and live in caves. Zan described the things he saw throughout his journey, which I thought was nice since it gave you a view of how the Earth would have been during that time.
 
Many years go by when Zan finally returns home. I liked how the others accepted him back into his home. He changed as the years went by and at the end, when he returns, he sees things differently and helps his tribe so that they don't have to keep fighting with other tribes.
 
This book was something different to read but at the same time it was a good book. I'm glad that I gave this book a chance, because I came out of what I normally read and gave me chance to read something different!
 
This book was given to me by the publisher for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review-- I was kinda skeptical- it doesnt seem my type of book.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think of a book reviewer as a traveler who is trying many kinds of food wherever he/she goes. You shouldn't go to Egypt or Japan and order the same old McDonald's hamburgers. After all, "a book can be a star, a living fire...."

    Thanks for tasting Zan-Gah.

    A. R. Shickman

    ReplyDelete