"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Guest Post: Kari Lee Townsend (Fused Playlist!)

Today we have Kari Lee Townsend, author of Fused, to talk to us a bit about how music connects with writing. I think It's always interesting to see how an author uses music to write!

BOOKS FEED THE MIND, WHILE MUSIC FEEDS THE SOUL

Music can be so inspiring to authors. The lyrics of a song are like words in a book…they tell a story. Often times that story feeds our imaginations, creating vivid images and reminding us of an event that’s happened in our own lives, or making us dream of things we wish would happen to us. Many authors get their inspiration for ideas for a book from the lyrics of songs. That’s sometimes the case for me.

I know several writers who can’t write a word unless they are listening to music. I can’t write unless it’s completely silent. However, I do a lot of prewriting in my head while listening to music. I like to use music to get in the mood for certain scenes I’m about to write. So I’ll listen to upbeat, fast songs that make me want to move before I’m about to write an action adventure scene. Or I’ll listen to sad songs that make me want to cry before I’m about to write a deeply emotional scene. And when I’m about to write a romantic scene, I’ll listen to songs that melt my heart and keep a smile on my face all day. I did that for both THE SAMANTHA GRANGER SERIES: FUSED, as well as my adult mystery series that comes out in August called TEMPEST IN THE TEA LEAVES: A FORTUNE TELLER MYSTERY.

Some of my favorite artists are Daughtry, Nickelback, John Meyer, Michael Buble, Faith Hill and Taylor Swift. Music and books really are personal choices. There is no right or wrong choice. What you choose is a reflection of who you are as a person, so go forth and choose something that fills a need and feeds your soul J Then tell me all about it. I love to hear from my readers. You can find out more about me and my books at www.karileetownsend.com

No comments:

Post a Comment