"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeleine L'Engle

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan

Title: The Sorcerer of the North
Author: John Flanagan
Published:
Pages: 295
Rating: 4/5
Summary: Several years have passed since the apprentice and his master, Will and Halt, let the Skandians to victory against invaders, and Will is finally a full-fledged Ranger with his own fief to look after. The fief seems sleepy--boring even--until Lord Syron, master of a castle far in the north, is struck down by a mysterious illness. Joined by his friend Alyss, Will is suddenly thrown headfirst into an extraordinary adventure, investigating fears of sorcery and trying to determine who is loyal to Lord Syron... and who is planning to betray him.
Will and Alyss must battle growing hysteria, traitors, and most of all, time. Lord Syron is fading, but when Alyss is taken hostage, Will is forced to make a desperate choice between loyalty to his mission and loyalty to his friend....

Review: The Sorcerer of the North followed the journey of Will after he has become a full Ranger and has his own fief. Halt and the chief of the rangers ask him to go on a mission to find out what is happening in the North. Throughout his journey he goes through many hardships and must learn who to trust and who and who are the traitors.

After reading four books I felt I knew Will. He's had to make tough choices before and I was glad to see that he had to kept doing it to find out things I was also glad that we got to see more of Alyss and of who she really is. They helped each other out and at the end she also had to make some tough choices.

I've noticed that each problem takes two books to resolve and I have to say that I like that. The first book introduces you to the problem and the last one solves it. I also like how they are small books and easy to read. I know there are more books than five so I can't wait to see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. This book series sounds interesting. There's an award waiting for you over at my blog. Keep it shiny sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this series sounds so good! i always want to start reading it after reading your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wildly popular series with my students! Book 9 is coming out in the fall and I have an advance copy. Everyone is jealous...I had to send it to one of my teachers for the summer :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete